Monday, September 27, 2010

Anna Ranch

Today as I began the first class of Place-Based Literacy: A Journey Through Hawaii's Ranching and Agricultural Past, I began to wonder exactly what "place-based literacyy" is. At first I wasn't exactly sure and considered asking the instructor for an "official" definition but I didn't.  I kept an open mind and later the walking tour of Waimea's Anna Ranch answered the question for me. The excellent tour was a tribute to one person, Anna Lindsey, who made a difference and left a significant and positive mark on Hawaii and beyond. After the tour, I came up with my own "unofficial official" definition of place-based literacy, which is to go somewhere-anywhere, try something new and then admire and appreciate that experience by translating it into words.

2 comments:

  1. I to wondered what a Place-Based Literacy class would be like. As someone who has never enjoyed the writing process I was more than a little apprehensive. However, I found that I enjoyed the place, writing, and creating a blog. I hope you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. K --
    The Lehua Writing Project offers a variety of opportunities to work on writing skills ... helping us, as teachers and communicators, enhance our skills in these areas. Taking the writing to the "aina" helps us to better connect with the heritage of this place. Imagine the power we offer our students when we bring them to places like Anna Ranch (so rich in history, culture, tradition) to connect with the island and themselves! I look forward to our next venue and opportunities to get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete